Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Altered Spice Rack


For the Survivor contest over at Making Memories For You I needed to alter something, and include a transparency on it. I decided to alter an old spice rack.

I first dumped all the old spices and washed the containers in the dishwasher.
Then I painted the whole thing pink (kinda hard to see in the picture).
Then I sorted through all of my buttons--this took forever. :)
I filled the containers with buttons and decorated the lid with pp and the color buttons in the container (or in some cases--the shape).
Then I put ribbon around the bottom and top of the spice rack...again, this is hard to see in the picture...but it is white ribbon that I tied lots of knots in.


Then I decorated the top.


I created an image from scratch of words that create a flower shape and printed it on a transparency, and then painted around it with 3D paint. Here is the image I created in case anybody wants to use it themselves.


Supplies:
Patterned Paper--Scenic Route, Basic Grey, DCWV, My Minds Eye.
Paint--Making Memories
Ribbon--Making Memories and Stampin' Up
Transparency
Computer font--Decaying Kuntry
3D Paint--Scribbles
Fancy Pants packaging (this is the scallops that I used on top)
Crystal Effects (I put buttons on with this, but I also made random bubble dots on the pp on top--this is very hard to see on the picture, sorry.)

9 comments:

scrappyhappy08 said...

It's really cute!! And as far as that lady is concerned...She just seems the type that really gets flustered easily....Or perhaps she's just a Bee--yotch!!!!LOL....There are much better people in the SB world...Don't waste your time....:) Great cards too!!

Deanne said...

Wow! That's a GREAT project!! You did an awesome job with that!

inara said...

OH. MY. GOSH. That is seriously cute!!!

Jen Glover said...

Pamela, I LOVE it! I want one! Make a few and we'll sell them at The Coconut ScrapShop!

Lauren Elizabeth said...

That is really cool looking. You could do this with almost any spice rack. One to try is SpiceStack - it holds 27 bottles (sold separately) and the drop-down drawers make it easy to find what you need fast. This one would be hard to paint, but it is a great way to store lots of little scrapbooking items in a small amount of space and stay organized! Check it out at www.SpiceStack.com and Happy Organizing!

TanishaRenee said...

this is so freaking creative!!!!! I love it- I have one of these and now I have another use for it!

Renee Dowling said...

This is such a cool idea, WTG, it looks awsome, now to get my hands ona rack for myself!!!
Reneexx

Angie said...

...Pamela Young shares a spice rack which she altered and repurposed for storing her buttons. Take a look...

Connie said...

Looks fantastic!!!