Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Devotions Vs. Lifestyle

I've grown up hearing about "devotions" and how a committed Christian devotes a certain amount of time every day to reading the Bible and praying.  It's like the person is giving that time to God.

Sometimes it is necessary to make that commitment and to schedule in time with God.  I get that.  But along with that comes both disappointment in self when you miss a day (or more) and an actual limitation on our time with God.

A lifestyle of worship includes God in most things you do all day.  The person is doing everything for God, and it includes conversing with Him throughout the day.  But it seems to me that Christians who are living this so-called lifestyle for God seem to often neglect to spend time in the Word.

I am one that believes fully in the lifestyle of worship.  But I am at this point now where I think I need to be more purposeful about scheduling a specific time to spend in God's word and prayer.  I can still do both throughout the day, but the actual devoting of a specific amount of time sounds really honoring to me.

What do you think?  Do you schedule time with God?  Does that make Him less or more important?

One thing is for sure, I think there's room for both devotions and a lifestyle of worship in our relationships with God.

3 comments:

fishioslady said...

Unlike you, I was not raised in a Christian home. However, I am married and my family and I do go to church and we strongly beleive in having Gods time. We need more people out there standing up for God. God gave me this great family and my husband is the one that got me into going to church. He was raised in church. If it wasn't for God I wouldn't be where I am today. I thank him daily for saving my soul. I don't know what I would do without him.
I love your page.

PaulaJ said...

what an interesting question. I used to be much more disciplined about being in the word everyday. Then several years ago my world was turned upside down with my Mom's Alzheimers and a nasty divorce. In order to not lose being in the word daily I read an internet column Words of Jesus everyday. I now spend more time sporadically in prayer as I pray for several people online daily that make prayer requests or are hurting but feel I need to make more disciplined time for personal prayer apart from the little spots of prayer throughout the day. I am not back involved in a Bible study and I think this has been very good for me in getting deeper into the word and not just merely 'reading' from it everyday.

ellyscard creatief said...

I found your blog today.
I love the words of that song.
He Is With You.
Always.
Thanks for the blessing .
I am a Dutch woman how live in Roemenie.
Gr Elly