Friday, August 15, 2008

Creating my own paper

The other day I had this idea for a layout but I really wanted some brown polka dot paper. You know how it is when sometimes you see something in your head one way and then you will have it no other I created my own.

I started with a sheet of Core'dinations cardstock (I love these, if you haven't ever used any, get some and play! They are in the ScrapLovers store here

Then I used my craft knife and just scratched off the surface in little dots. It was pretty easy. 

You could try to etch a whole design into one of these sheets of cardstock. 

Here is the LO I made:

Other ideas I could have done to make my own polka dot paper:
*  used paint (would have been super easy with 3D paint)
*  doodling
*  embossing (and sanding)
*  used my embroidery floss to thread knots for dots
*  used a hole-puncher's leftover circles
*  used brads or eyelets
*  stamped circles (if I didn't have a small dot I could ink the eraser on a pencil)

What other ideas do you have?  I will add them to the list.  :)

Patterned Paper--Pink Paislee (and on the owl:) Autumn Leaves, Cardstock--Core'dinations (on owl:) Stampin' Up!, Chipboard--Fancy Pants, Calendar--Jenni Bowlin, Glimmer Mist (on chipoard)--Tattered Angels, Paint--Making Memories, Rub-on owl--Glitz, Label stickers--Jenni Bowlin, Letter stickers--Rusty Pickle, Embroidery floss--Prism.


Alexandra said...

SHUT UP!!!!! This is fabulous Pamela, I am totally in love with this layout - how cute is that owl??!! And, your dp that you made, pure genius, my friend!!!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Marcie said...

How creative, and love the owl!

CAKVD said...

Great idea Pamela!! It turned out wonderful!

Cathy said...

what a fab idea, i always use paint or a white pen

TraceyT said...

This is a wonderful use of that Core'dinations.

Amy said...

What a terrific l/o!!! Loving the idea for polka dot are too creative!

Adrienne said...

How awesome! I love those ideas!

Also, if you arent into the symetric cirlcled polka dot paper, hand cut different sizes of circles to glue onto your paper! :D

Thanks for all those great ideas!

Oh guess what?
I have entered into a contest, and need some votes! :D Stop on by my blog
and read the first two posts on how to vote for me! :D Thanks! :D Much Appreciated!

Jen Glover said...

Fabulous idea!!!!!! GREAT LO! I love the owl and the paper! We must sell this in the Coconut ScrapShop!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

jo-ann said...

what a great idea! i absolutly love the owl! i scrolled through your blog and noticed we share a site in common! (mmfy) i came here through scrapscene!

Pearl said...

wow that is so patient of you to do that with a craft knife ! for cards i can easily say use the Cuttlebug - but yes sigh ! i cant Cuttlebig Swiss Dots unto 12x12 on a Cuttlebug yet ! unless I cut an piece several 4x4 or 4x6 pieces together ! now thats an idea too ! lol great tip nevertheless ! I do wish to stop buying stuff & simply use whatever I have on hand before running out to buy