Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Design School!!! (I've Got Rhythm!)


I am so happy to be a guest this week for the Design School series at Two Peas going on right now! I was seriously thrilled when Jamie asked me. :) Check out the whole series here.

I did this layout to showcase the RHYTHM design principal.



The principle of rhythm is the idea of giving your page a sense of movement, you can do this with wavy lines, circles flowing across a page, or even with simple stripes (such as the keys on a piano).

You can see rhythm in several spots on my layout...in the hearts flowing in and out, or the strips of layered paper, or even in the journaling and title which flow down.

Here are some close up's:




All my papers came from the Amy Tangerine collection from American Crafts. I was lucky enough to win it on their blog, and I honestly could not have been happier when it came...I LOVE IT! :) You will definitely be seeing more of it.

Back to rhythm...

When trying to create rhythm on your pages I suggest you think about what you are wanting to get across. Rhythm on your pages can ADD to your story! For example, if you have a picture or a child--add your journaling in a way that makes it appear she/he is yelling it, or as in my example, the hike we took was filled with rocks and switchbacks, I made the hearts flow not directly across the page but as if they themselves came to a switchback. And the path we took was never level, so I varied the strips of paper up and down. Rhythm can add an idea or expression to your page and it's not hard to do! I hope you play along with the challenge, just remember, everyone's got a bit of rhythm in them! :)

10 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

very cool page. i love all the elements.

Connie Mercer said...

congrats to you! great page and post!!

Jingle said...

Congratulations and wonderful page!

Margie Higuchi said...

This is GREAT, Pamela!! I see the rhythm right away and you wrote it so well :) Need to see more - thanks for the link! Congrats to you!!

Kelly Massman said...

Great layout-love the colors--that collection ROCKS!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sorry for my deleted comment... lol... I was commenting on some DT stuff... and got all caught up in it! LOL! :) Silly me! :)

CONGRATS on the guest spot! That is AWESOME! I loveeeeeeeee your lo! I loveeeeeee that photo and that title ROCKS (hehehehe!) and love love love love the HEARTS! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Ursula Schneider said...

that is a beautiful layout, love all those layers!

Daniela Dobson said...

Love your layout!!! Congrats on the GDT!!!

Sylvia Blum said...

ohhh.. this is AMAZING! LOVE your LO! I would never be able to use so many patterned papers like you did here! *wow*
And I think you did a fab job on creating 'rythm' on your page!
Just wonderful!
Sylvia xx
PS: Congrats on being a guest for the design school event.. that's so cool (and well deserved)